When it comes to attractions on the Outer Banks, Nags Head has all you need. With historic houses, major landmarks and just things to do to have fun, your new Nags Head home will be in the middle of it all! Whether you’re looking to start a family or retire, this is the place to do it!
Your Main Attractions
There are tons of attractions all over the beach, especially in the town of Nags Head, so we want to let you know of the best!
Jockey’s Ridge is the largest sand dune on the entire East Coast, located right at mile post 12.5, and by far the very best attraction around! Not only is it a living sand dune, moving an average of an inch a year, it also covers the Old Nags Head Hotel and a miniature golf course which is visible by a sand castle that sticks out near the face of the dune when the wind is right.
Along with the giant sand pile is Jockey’s Ridge State Park at mile post 12. Here you can go biking, hiking, hang gliding as well as visit their flight school and information museum. The wildlife around the ridge is plentiful and visitors have even spotted lagoons popping up in the sand from time to time.
Another great place is the Nags Head Woods Ecological Preserve which stretches 1,092 acres north of Jockey’s Ridge and East of the Roanoke Sound. You can hike long woods trails and has been a National Natural Landmark since 1974.
Nags Head Landmarks
Among the attractions in Nags Head, you’ll find some great historic landmarks. We want to let you know what they are and where they are located.
- Bodie Island Lifesaving and Coast Guard Station: Located south of Nags Head on NC Highway 12.
- First Colony INN: Located at 6720 S. Virginia Dare Trail.
- Bodie Island Lighthouse: Located off of NC Highway 12.
- Mattie Midgett Store and House: Located at 4008 S. Virginia Dare Trail.
- Markham-Albertson-Stinson Cottage: Located at 4300 W. Soundside Road.
- Sea Foam Motel: Located at 7111 S. Virginia Dare Trail.
- Nags Head Beach Cottages Historic District: Located on US Highway 158.
These are only a few landmarks near and in the town of Nags Head. There are tons of things around so come on down to the beach and see just why you should buy your new home in Nags Head! Whether you want a home on the OBX sound side or right up oceanfront, there is plenty to choose from in all price ranges.